Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Review #1: Peek Freans Lifestyle Bran Crunch + Dole Live Right Peanut Butter Banana Bites

Yesterday I was really hungry at work so I ran across the street to Rexall to grab some snacks. I have quite a bit of trouble making decisions when it comes to food - I just want to try EVERYTHING. I didn't have a lot of time to spare, so I just quickly picked up two somewhat promising packages from the shelves - one box of Peek Freans Lifestyle Bran Crunch and one of Dole Live Right Peanut Butter Banana Bites.

Peek Freans Lifestyle Bran Crunch



















Taste: 4/5 - These tasted better than I expected. I really enjoyed the crunchy texture and the hint of sweetness to it. It wasn't too sweet and didn't taste artificial or anything. This would be a wonderful snack to pair with a cup of tea or coffee.
Nutrition: 3/5 - These biscuits don't have a lot of nutritional value to them, unfortunately. However, as long as you stick to the recommended serving size of 3 biscuits, they're not exactly unhealthy either. I personally had more than one serving size... but that's just a bad habit of mine. The sugar content can add up, which you should be careful of if you are concerned about your blood glucose levels. I do appreciate that these biscuits have some fiber, protein, and iron in them.
Price: $1.97 CAD
Overall: 3.5/5 - Overall I enjoyed these, but won't be buying them again anytime soon. They have a nice taste and texture, but it wasn't something that was so delicious that I would crave them. I think for $2, I would rather buy some more nutritious and vitamin-packed fruits and veggies.

Dole Live Right Peanut Butter Banana Bites

















Taste: 2/5 - I didn't really enjoy the taste or texture of these. These are really chewy - I think what bothers me the most are the oats. I actually really like oatmeal and granola bars in general so these were a disappointment. The oats were raw, so it was hard to chew. The nuts did add a little crunch though. They kind of reminded me of the three ingredient chocolate chip banana oatmeal cookies (mix mashed banana, oatmeal, and chocolate chips together and bake), but with a weird aftertaste.
Nutrition: 3/5 - Made with all natural ingredients, but quite high in sugar. Similar to the Peek Freans biscuits, its good that these bites have some fiber, protein, and iron. Again, something to watch out for is the sugar content. These are pre-packaged into packs of 2, so they are a convenient and healthy snack on the go.
Price: $2.47 CAD for 1 box (5 packs of 2 bites)
Overall: 2.5/5 - the taste was really disappointing, I think I'd rather just make my own chocolate chip banana oatmeal cookies and mix in some nuts. It would be cheaper, less processed, and I can be confident that the ingredients are "all natural". I won't be buying these again either.

No comments:

Post a Comment